Will Beach Getaways or City Trips Prevail This Fall: Tripadvisor Reveals Americans Divided on Travel Plans
More than half (54%) of Americans report planning to travel this fall (
Where are they going?
Throughout the pandemic, travelers preferred outdoor and nature destinations, avoiding crowded tourist spots. Now, the focus is gradually shifting back towards cities. In fact, big cities make up many of the top 10 destinations Americans are visiting this fall. Fear not, beachcombers refusing to give up your time in the sun, half of the most popular fall getaways still involve sunbathing:
Las Vegas, Nev. New York City, N.Y. Orlando, Fla. Myrtle Beach, S.C. Ocean City, Md. Honolulu, Hawaii Nashville, Tenn. Chicago, Ill. Miami Beach, Fla.
- Virginia Beach, Va.
While the majority of Americans (84%) are staying in the
"Although most of us aren't quite ready to vacation across the world, those who are traveling this fall are more willing to splurge," said
What activities are Americans falling for?
The most popular experience types (bookable tours, tickets, and activities) this fall are historical tours, sightseeing cruises, cultural tours, and ghost & vampire tours - perfect for the more moderate autumn weather and scenic foliage. Nearly two-thirds (60%) of
Here are the top 10 most booked experiences this fall:
- History & Hauntings of Salem Guided Walking Tour -
Salem. Mass. Nashvilleto Jack Daniel's Distillery Bus Tour with Whiskey Tastings - Nashville, Tenn.
- Tour of
North Shore(70%) and Sightseeing (30%) - Honolulu, Hawaii
- General Jackson Showboat Lunch or Dinner Cruise in
Nashville- Nashville, Tenn.
- Ultimate Circle Island Adventure with Waimea Waterfall -
Salem Night Tour- Salem, Mass.
- Premium Narrated Bus Tour of
Bar Harborand Acadia National Park(3.5 Hours) - Bar Harbor, Maine
- Asheville Historic Downtown Guided Electric Bike Tour with Scenic Views -
- Salt Lake City Guided Bus Tour -
Salt Lake City, Utah
- Scenic Tour of
Bryce Canyon- Bryce, Utah
The trending destinations for experiences this fall (places with the highest volume of experiences booked) are
Other fall finds:
- Gen Z Americans are the most eager to travel this fall, with 62% planning to do so. This is followed by 60% of Millennials, 59% of Gen X, and just 40% of Boomers.
Lahainaand Honolulu, Hawaiiare the top two fastest growing destinations compared to fall 2020.
- Cleanliness remains a top priority, as Tripadvisor's Travel Safe filter is the most commonly used on-site.
- Most fall trips will be between 2-5 nights long, with 53% of travelers reporting to take a trip of that duration. 17% will stay only one night, 22% will stay 6-10 nights, and 7% will stay more than 10 nights.
The data cited in this release was gathered and analyzed from three key sources:
Tripadvisor Consumer Sentiment Survey, based on data drawn from an online survey of over 2,500 consumers, in partnership with Qualtrics, conducted between September 3 - September 14, 2021across six countries - U.S., UK, Australia, Italy, Singaporeand Japan.
- Generations cited are broken down by the following age ranges
- 57 - 75 (Baby boomer)
- 41 - 56 (Generation X)
- 25 - 40 (Millennials)
- 18 - 24 (Generation Z)
- Site behavioral data sourced from first party traffic data on the Tripadvisor platform, gathered during the week commencing
August 23, 2021, for searches made by U.S.travelers from June 1, 2021through August 31, 2021for travel between September 1, 2021through November 30, 2021.
- Most popular experiences, experience types, and destinations are based on bookings on Tripadvisor made between
June 1, 2021– August 31, 2021for bookings between September 13, 2021and October 31, 2021. Most booked experiences are limited to two per destination.
Tripadvisor, the world's largest travel guidance platform*, helps hundreds of millions of people each month** become better travelers, from planning to booking to taking a trip. Travelers across the globe use the Tripadvisor site and app to discover where to stay, what to do and where to eat based on guidance from those who have been there before. With more than 934 million reviews and opinions of nearly 8 million businesses, travelers turn to Tripadvisor to find deals on accommodations, book experiences, reserve tables at delicious restaurants and discover great places nearby. As a travel guidance company available in 43 markets and 22 languages, Tripadvisor makes planning easy no matter the trip type. The subsidiaries of
www.bokun.io, www.cruisecritic.com, www.flipkey.com, www.thefork.com, www.helloreco.com, www.holidaylettings.co.uk, www.housetrip.com, www.jetsetter.com, www.niumba.com, www.seatguru.com, www.singleplatform.com, www.vacationhomerentals.com, and www.viator.com.
* Source: SimilarWeb, unique users de-duplicated monthly,
** Source: Tripadvisor internal log files
View original content to download multimedia:https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/will-beach-getaways-or-city-trips-prevail-this-fall-tripadvisor-reveals-americans-divided-on-travel-plans-301382415.html