Tourism During COVID-19: Tripadvisor Releases Findings of a Staged Recovery
The research paper, entitled "Beyond COVID-19: The Road to Recovery for the Travel Industry," can be read in full, for free, here: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Covid19WhitepaperMay2020.
This research paper also explores and identifies where the tourism and hospitality industry is on this road to recovery as well as 1) outlines the significant pent up demand that exists in the marketplace for travel and dining, 2) details the change in travel and dining behaviors resulting from the ongoing pandemic and 3) illustrates recent search and traffic patterns on Tripadvisor globally related to the crisis.
A snapshot of some key findings:
New Zealand, Germanyand Switzerlandamong first markets to enter the Emerge stage, with restaurant searches on Tripadvisor resurging strongly
- Consumer desire to travel remains resilient - around two in five (41%) consumers are optimistic that they will take the same or more trips than last year
- Shorter trips to destinations closer to home are a recurring theme, with nearly half (44%) of consumers saying they are more likely to take a road trip, and two thirds (61%) saying they are most comfortable taking a road trip for 3-5 days
- Consumers are 218% more likely to want to take a trip where they can relax compared to before the pandemic1, and nearly two thirds (59%) would prefer to go somewhere off the beaten path
- Nature and beach destinations on the rise as Tripadvisor sees spike in North American traffic researching Campgrounds, Ranches and Beach Motels, while
Myrtle Beach, San Diegoand Key Westare among the most popular domestic U.S.destination searches in recent weeks
"We're encouraged to see positive signs of recovery and are here to help our travelers and partners understand the pathway through this pandemic with clear insights and tangible data," said
The five stages to recovery
The Tripadvisor in-house market research and insights teams have outlined five distinct stages of tourism impact and recovery:
- Decline - Travel declines sharply as widespread restrictions enforced
- Plateau - Sharp decline in bookings levels out, but travelers start dreaming their next trip
- Emerge - Easing of travel restrictions begins, early signs of recovery in dining sector
Domestic Travel- Travelers book their first trips away, but stay close to home International Travel- Border restrictions ease, and international travel begins to rebound
An industry eager for actionable insights
Tripadvisor continues to leverage its research and insights to educate the tourism and hospitality industry and brands on how to appropriately attract more consumers as stay-at-home orders begin to lift globally. Media buyers, hoteliers, restaurateurs, and tour operators alike can gain functional advice on how to best serve their customers' needs in each stage of the recovery. Across the board, safety, flexibility and transparency are key to rebuilding traveler and diner confidence.
For additional information on the impact COVID-19 has had on the tourism industry, visit our webinar series found at: https://www.tripadvisor.com/TripAdvisorInsights/w5933.
Note to Editor:
The data cited in this report was gathered and analyzed from two key sources:
Tripadvisor Consumer Sentiment Tracking Survey, based on data drawn from an online survey of consumers, in partnership with Qualtrics, conducted approximately every two weeks from 3/27 through 5/18 across six countries worldwide.
- Tripadvisor site behavioral data sourced from first party traffic data on the Tripadvisor platform.
Tripadvisor, the world's largest travel platform*, helps 463 million travelers each month** make every trip their best trip. Travelers across the globe use the Tripadvisor site and app to browse more than 860 million reviews and opinions of 8.7 million accommodations, restaurants, experiences, airlines and cruises. Whether planning or on a trip, travelers turn to Tripadvisor to compare low prices on hotels, flights and cruises, book popular tours and attractions, as well as reserve tables at great restaurants. Tripadvisor, the ultimate travel companion, is available in 49 markets and 28 languages.
The subsidiaries and affiliates of
www.airfarewatchdog.com, www.bokun.io, www.bookingbuddy.com, www.cruisecritic.com, www.familyvacationcritic.com, www.flipkey.com,www.thefork.com (including www.lafourchette.com, www.eltenedor.com, and www.bookatable.co.uk), www.holidaylettings.co.uk, www.holidaywatchdog.com, www.housetrip.com, www.jetsetter.com, www.niumba.com, www.onetime.com, www.oyster.com, www.seatguru.com, www.singleplatform.com, www.smartertravel.com, www.tingo.com, www.vacationhomerentals.com and www.viator.com.
* Source: Jumpshot for Tripadvisor Sites, worldwide,
** Source: Tripadvisor internal log files, average monthly unique visitors, Q3 2019
1 Tripadvisor Consumer Sentiment Survey Wave 2, Qualtrics; 2,291 respondents,
View original content to download multimedia:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/tourism-during-covid-19-tripadvisor-releases-findings-of-a-staged-recovery-301073227.html