NYC, Paris, London Reign Supreme: Travelers Finally Returning to Iconic Cities This Winter
Last-minute bookers: Notably, 24% of Americans are still undecided about winter travel. Only about a third (30%) have already booked their trip, but three-quarters (74%) of those who haven't yet are waiting until November or December to do so, so we may end up seeing significantly more travelers hit the road as the coldest season further approaches.
Although the vast majority (94%) of travelers will remain domestic, Americans are looking to broaden their horizons and experience new things this winter, as more than a third (37%) are planning to travel somewhere they haven't been before and over a third (42%) have booked a tour or activity.
Where to? New York City is back on top in the
10 Most Popular Winter Destinations for Americans:
New York City, N.Y. Orlando, Fla. Las Vegas, Nev. Key West, Fla. Miami Beach, Fla. Nashville, Tenn. Chicago, Ill. Anaheim, Calif. Los Angeles, Calif. Savannah, Ga.
Seaside destinations trending in Tripadvisor's Fall Travel Index (
Top 10 fastest growing destinations for Americans (from fall 2021 to winter 2021):
Paris, France London, United Kingdom Rome, Italy Naples, Italy
- Seven Mile Beach,
St. Lucia Freeport, Maine, United States St. John's, Antigua San Pedro, Belize Tamarindo, Costa Rica
Holiday cheer: Half (49%) of Americans report feeling excited about holiday travel, more than any other country, 43% feel hopeful, and 42% feel optimistic. These trump negative emotions like stressed, nervous, cautious, which were the least common emotions reported.
After a year of missing loved ones, visiting them this season is a priority. The most common destination people want to visit is family and friends' houses (61%), followed by the city (39%) and the beach (37%). And, most are traveling with their immediate family (50%) or significant other (41%).
What else is trending this winter?
- The most popular travel dates for Americans heading off on winter trips are
December 16, December 30, and November 24, respectively, just in time for Thanksgivingand Christmas.
- Top hotel styles: family and mid-range hotels.
- Popular hotel amenities: pool, free breakfast, all-inclusive, beach, and free cancellation.
- 67% of travelers booking a trip this winter have already started researching.
- Money mindset:
- 77% of Americans say they are saving up for holiday travel.
- The most important factor when choosing a destination this winter: travel cost (39%).
- 32% will spend more than last year, 58% will spend the same amount.
- Gift cards for retail or restaurants are the most popular gifts respondents want to give this year. But almost one-fifth (17%) want to give tickets for travel - the best gift there is!
Trending activities this season
Travelers are loving Cultural Tours, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, and Museum Tickets & Passes, as these are the top three types of experiences Americans are booking this winter. A mix of rich culture and active adventures, the most-booked experiences for the season range from an ATV waterfall tour in
Top 10 Most-Booked Experiences1:
New Yorkin One Day Guided Sightseeing Tour - New York City, N.Y.
- Night Manta Ray Adventure - Island of
- Kauai ATV Waterfall Tour -
- Turtle Canyon Catamaran Snorkel Cruise -
Canyon West Rim Bus Tour& Hoover Dam Photo Stop with optional Skywalk - Las Vegas, Nev.
- 9/11 Memorial Museum Admission Ticket -
New York City, N.Y. Charleston'sOld South Carriage Historic Horse & Carriage Tour - Charleston, S.C.
- Key West Sunset Sail with Full Bar, Live Music & Hors D'oeuvres -
Key West, Fla.
- Full-Day Iconic Sights of LA,
Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Beaches and More - Los Angeles, Calif.
- Grand Ole Opry House Guided Backstage Tour in
Nashville- Nashville, Tenn.
For those who prefer to take the road less traveled and avoid the most "popular" activities, Tripadvisor also rounded up the best activities to get in the winter spirit.
The Best Winter Activities
- Rocky Mountain National Park Tour - Winter In The Park - Estes Park Guided Tours -
Estes Park, Colo.
- Dog Sledding and Mushing Experience -
- Winter Yellowstone Tour (With Optional Hike or Snowshoe) -
- Guided Snowshoe Excursion -
Park City, Utah
- Half Day Ice Climbing in
Telluride- Telluride, Colo.
The Best Festive Experiences
- Dyker Heights Brooklyn Christmas Lights Tour -
- Savannah Holiday Lights Trolley Tour -
- 2-Hour Chicago Holiday Lights
Segway Tour- Chicago, Ill.
- Holiday Lights Tour of
San Francisco- San Francisco, Calif.
- New York City Cocoa and
Carols Holiday Cruise- New York City, N.Y.
How do frequent travelers differ from all travelers?
Tripadvisor Plus is a new annual travel subscription for
The data cited in this release was gathered and analyzed from two key sources:
Tripadvisor Consumer Sentiment Survey, based on data drawn from an online survey of over 2,400 consumers, in partnership with Qualtrics, conducted between October 5, 2021through October 14, 2021across eight countries ( United States, United Kingdom, Australia, Japan, Italy, Singapore, Germany, India).
- Site behavioral data sourced from first party traffic data on the Tripadvisor platform, gathered during the week commencing
October 18, 2021, for searches made by U.S.travelers from September 1, 2021through October 15, 2021for travel between November, 2021 through January 31, 2022.
NOTES TO EDITOR
- Most-booked experiences based on bookings on Tripadvisor made between
September 1, 2021- October 15, 2021for travel between November 1, 2021– January 31, 2022, limited to two per city, and three per state.
- Most popular destinations, most booked hotels, and most booked experiences for Tripadvisor Plus subscribers based on bookings on Tripadvisor made between
September 1, 2021through October 15, 2021. Hotels and experiences limited to two per city.
For further information: firstname.lastname@example.org
Tripadvisor, the world's largest travel guidance platform*, helps hundreds of millions of people each month** become better travelers, from planning to booking to taking a trip. Travelers across the globe use the Tripadvisor site and app to discover where to stay, what to do and where to eat based on guidance from those who have been there before. With more than 934 million reviews and opinions of nearly 8 million businesses, travelers turn to Tripadvisor to find deals on accommodations, book experiences, reserve tables at delicious restaurants and discover great places nearby. As a travel guidance company available in 43 markets and 22 languages, Tripadvisor makes planning easy no matter the trip type.
The subsidiaries of
www.bokun.io, www.cruisecritic.com, www.flipkey.com, www.thefork.com, www.helloreco.com, www.holidaylettings.co.uk, www.housetrip.com, www.jetsetter.com, www.niumba.com, www.seatguru.com, www.singleplatform.com, www.vacationhomerentals.com, and www.viator.com.
* Source: SimilarWeb, unique users de-duplicated monthly,
** Source: Tripadvisor internal log files
View original content to download multimedia:https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/nyc-paris-london-reign-supreme-travelers-finally-returning-to-iconic-cities-this-winter-301415025.html