- What does Tripadvisor do?
- Tripadvisor is an online travel research company, empowering users to plan and enjoy the ideal trip. Tripadvisor's travel research platform aggregates reviews and opinions of members about destinations, accommodations (including hotels, B&Bs, specialty lodging and vacation rentals), restaurants and activities throughout the world through its flagship Tripadvisor brand.
- What is Tripadvisor's Mission Statement?
- Tripadvisor's Mission is to help people around the world plan and have the perfect trip. Please see our company Fact Sheet here.
- When was Tripadvisor incorporated?
- Tripadvisor, Inc., a Delaware corporation, was formed in July 2011 in connection with the spin-off from Expedia to hold the travel media brands associated with the Tripadvisor businesses, as reflected in the Tripadvisor Holdings, LLC combined financial statements. The original Tripadvisor business was founded in February 2000 and was acquired by IAC/InterActiveCorp in April 2004. In August 2005, IAC/InterActiveCorp spun out its portfolio of travel brands, including Tripadvisor, into a separate company under the newly formed Delaware corporation, Expedia, Inc.
- Where are Tripadvisor's corporate headquarters?
- Our principal executive offices are located at 400 1st Avenue, Needham, MA 02494, and Tripadvisor's telephone number at that location is (781) 800-5000.
- When did Tripadvisor begin trading in the stock market?
- Tripadvisor completed its spin-off from Expedia (NASDAQ: EXPE) on December 20th, 2011 and began trading on the Nasdaq Global Market on December 21st, 2011.
- Where is Tripadvisor stock traded? What is its ticker symbol and CUSIP number?
- Tripadvisor common stock is traded on the NASDAQ Stock Market under the symbol TRIP. The CUSIP is 896945 201
- Where can I see a history of Tripadvisor, Inc.'s stock trading?
- Click Here
- Who are the sell-side analysts that follow Tripadvisor?
- Please visit our Analyst Coverage page
- How can I invest in Tripadvisor?
- You can purchase Tripadvisor's Class A common stock can be bought or sold through a licensed securities broker.
- Does Tripadvisor have a direct stock purchase plan?
- Tripadvisor does not have a direct stock purchase plan. Shares of Tripadvisor can be purchased through your stockbroker.
- Does Tripadvisor pay dividends on its common stock?
- Tripadvisor does not currently pay dividends on common stock. Any future determination to pay dividends will be at the discretion of our board of directors and will depend on our financial condition, results of operations, capital requirements, and other factors that our board of directors deems relevant.
- How may I obtain copies of Tripadvisor's financial information?
- Tripadvisor financial reports and SEC filings are available on the Financial Information section of the Investor Relations section of our company website, www.tripadvisor.com.
Tripadvisor financial reports are also available through the SEC website at www.sec.gov.
- What is Tripadvisor's fiscal year?
- Tripadvisor's fiscal year mirrors the calendar year, with the last day of our year occurring on December 31. Our quarterly periods conclude on March 31, June 30, September 30, and December 31.
- How can I obtain quarterly and annual reports for Tripadvisor, Inc.?
- You can access those and other financial materials (including SEC filings) online here.
- How can I find out about upcoming investor events including earnings release dates, conferences and investor presentations?
- Earnings are disclosed on a quarterly basis, after the close of the quarter. Please note that once a quarterly financial results release date has been established, a notification press release will be issued and the event details will be listed on both the home page and the Events and Presentations page of the Investor Relations section of our website. Please visit our Events page for information on earnings announcements and other events. You can also sign up for email alerts here so that you can be notified automatically when the details of an investor event have been disclosed.
- Who is Tripadvisor, Inc.'s transfer agent?
- BNY Mellon Shareowner Services (BNYM) is Tripadvisor, Inc.'s transfer agent and can be reached four different ways:
For general information or frequently asked questions, go to www.bnymellon/shareowner. For Investor ServiceDirect®, go to www.bnymellon/shareowner/isd to log into your shareholder account. Using Investor ServiceDirect®, you can access your account 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
1-800-851-9677 (US Only)
1-201-680-6578 (Outside the US)
An e-mail form is available at www.bnymellon.com/shareowner. Select "Contact Us."
Please address your correspondence as follows:
c/o BNY Mellon Shareowner Services
P.O. Box 358016
Pittsburgh, PA 15252-8016
Stockholders who have physical stock certificates should contact BNYM in the event of a name change, a change of address, or if their certificate has been lost or stolen. Additionally, if a registered holder has not received a Notice of Availability of Proxy Materials in advance of the Annual Meeting, BNYM is the appropriate contact.
- I'm a shareholder, but don't have stock certificates. How do I update my name and address, or request proxy and financial information?
- If you own stock, but do not have stock certificates, your shares are held for you by a bank or brokerage firm. In this case, please be sure to notify your bank or brokerage firm in the event of a name or address change, or if you need a Proxy Card and Statement and Annual Report in advance of the Annual Meeting.
- Who are the independent auditors for Tripadvisor?
- Our independent auditors are KPMG LLP located in Boston, MA.
- How do I get added to Tripadvisor's mailing list?
- You can sign up for e-mail alerts notifying you of new press releases, SEC filings or corporate actions and events by clicking here
- Where can I get more information?
- Additional information is available on the Investor Relations section of our website, www.tripadvisor.com or you can contact the Investor Relations Department
- How can I contact Investor Relations directly?
- Click here to reach Tripadvisor, Inc.'s Investor Relations via e-mail, or write to us at:
Tripadvisor, Inc., Investor Relations 400 1st Avenue, Needham, MA 02494.
- How can I contact customer service?
- Please visit our Help Center here. If you are a property owner, please visit our Owners Support here.
TripAdvisor Spin-Off FAQs
- If I owned shares of Expedia, Inc. common stock prior to the spin-off, what did I receive in connection with the spin-off?
- Immediately prior to the spin-off, Expedia, Inc. effected a one-for-two reverse stock split. Therefore, as a result of the stock split and the spin-off, for every two shares of Expedia common stock owned on December 20, 2011, shareholders received one share of new Expedia common stock (EXPE) and one share of Tripadvisor common stock (TRIP).
- What was the date of record of the Tripadvisor spin-off? How much of TripAdvisor, Inc. does Expedia continue to own?
- Following the close of trading on December 20, 2011, 100% of the outstanding shares of Tripadvisor, Inc. was spun off to Expedia shareholders of record as of December 20, 2011, ending Expedia's ownership of Tripadvisor.
- How do I calculate cost basis after the Tripadvisor spin-off?
- For general information about the allocation of cost basis for U.S. income tax purposes between Expedia and Tripadvisor stock following the stock split and spin-off, please see this memorandum: Expedia, Inc. and Tripadvisor, Inc. Shareholder Tax Basis Information.
- How will the Expedia warrants be treated in the spin-off?
- At the time of the spin-off, Expedia had outstanding warrants that were originally issued in 2005 in connection with Expedia's spin-off from IAC/InterActiveCorp, as part of the adjustment of then-outstanding warrants to acquire IAC common stock that IAC had issued in 2002 in connection with a joint venture with Vivendi Universal. These warrants were scheduled to expire in May 2012.
On December 20, 2011, certain adjustments to these warrants were effected in connection with the reverse stock split and the spin-off of Tripadvisor. Specifically, outstanding warrants previously exercisable for one-half (0.5) shares of Expedia common stock at an exercise price of $14.45 per warrant were converted into: (i) warrants exercisable for one-quarter (0.25) of a share of Expedia common stock at an exercise price of $6.80 per warrant; and (ii) warrants exercisable for one-quarter (0.25) of a share of TripAdvisor common stock at an exercise price of $7.66 per warrant. Outstanding warrants previously exercisable for one-half (0.5) shares of Expedia common stock at an exercise price of $12.23 per warrant were converted into: (i) warrants exercisable for one-quarter (0.25) of a share of Expedia common stock at an exercise price of $5.76 per warrant and (ii) warrants exercisable for one-quarter (0.25) of a share of Tripadvisor common stock at an exercise price of $6.48 per warrant. The terms of the new warrants, including the May 2012 expiration date, remain substantially the same as the terms of the pre-spin Expedia warrants.
- Did Expedia, Inc. dividend shares of Tripadvisor, Inc. to its shareholders?
- No. Expedia effected the spin-off by means of a reclassification of its capital stock.
Immediately prior to the spin-off, Expedia, Inc. effected a one-for-two reverse stock split. As a result, holders of Expedia common stock as of immediately prior to the effective time of the spin-off became entitled to receive one share of Tripadvisor common stock and one share of Expedia common stock for every two shares of Expedia common stock held immediately prior to the completion of the spin-off.
- Was the Tripadvisor spin-off a tax-free event for investors?
- Expedia's spin-off of Tripadvisor was generally treated as a non-taxable event in the United States for federal tax purposes to holders of Expedia common stock. Expedia did not pursue a determination of eligibility for tax status in Canada or any other jurisdiction outside of the United States. Accordingly, each non-U.S. shareholder should consult his or her tax advisor to seek non-taxable status on an individual basis. For more information about the tax consequences of the spin-off, see the Expedia/Tripadvisor prospectus dated October 31, 2011 (included as part of the registration statement on Form S-4, most recently filed with the SEC on 11/1/11).